Burnley – Gawthorpe training area
Historical land use to the east of the town centre the flat valley bottom provided optimal conditions for the town’s recreational grounds. Padiham Cricket Club had grounds at the end of Wyre Street which it shared with Padiham Football Club (formed in 1878). The football club originally played fixtures against many of today’s local Premier League and Football League clubs, in front of thousands of spectators within those grounds. According to the 1890’s Ordinance Survey the site contained a cricket pitch. The site’s sport usage has been established for over 100 years. The urban fringes of Burnley exert an influence over the landscape; close to the urban edge there are pockets of neglected land and urban fringe land uses such as horse paddocks, garden centres and retail or industrial buildings.
Full details can be seen here